It is natural to fear those we do not know; people we presume to be far removed from us physically, culturally, intellectually, or spiritually. Left unchecked, that fear can grow into avoidance, rejection, and even hatred. But narrowing the gap, seeing the Imago Dei in the stranger and coming face-to-face with “the other” breaks down walls, making way for the Holy Spirit to transform both parties into the likeness of Christ
Mission Flourish works with refugee women from all ethnicities and walks of life. They come from far away places like Burma (Myanmar), Rwanda, the Congo, Iraq, and Syria. All have experienced trauma. Even though they are victims of war, you might be surprised how much they have to offer our society and their beautiful spirit. We have a deep desire to form lasting relationships with the women in our programs. We want to be the doorway through which cross-cultural sharing and experiences occur.
With love, compassion, support of other women, and the community, refugee women can rise above their traumatic history to flourish and become all
God created them to be.
Imagine being forced to flee your country in order to escape to safety. If you were lucky, you had time to pack a bag. If not, you simply dropped everything and ran, where your life and freedom are at risk. Life as a refugee can be difficult to imagine. But, for over 25 million people around the world, it is a terrifying reality. 51% of them are children under age 18, and most of the remaining 49% are women. Less than 1% of refugees are able to resettle to another country. They are people just like you who have been forced to flee their home.
Who are refugees?
A refugee is someone who has been forced to flee his or her country because of persecution, war or violence. A refugee has a well-founded fear of persecution for reasons of race, religion, nationality, political opinion or membership in a particular social group. Most likely, they cannot return home or are afraid to do so. War and ethnic, tribal and religious violence are leading causes of refugees fleeing their countries.
Are they a drain on the economy?
A close examination of historical data on refugees’ economic impact in the US shows that, while they require initial support to establish new lives, refugees who are welcomed by their new community significantly outpace other immigrants and native-born Americans in terms of their entrepreneurialism and economic upward mobility. Over their first 20 years here, on average, a refugee receives $107,000 in government benefits but pays back $129,000 in taxes.